Monday 26 January 2015

The power of ginger – the super star spice!

The power of ginger – the super star spice!



Ginger, a spice native to Southeastern Asia, is a rhizome and is botanically known as Zingiber officinale. The fresh flesh of ginger can vary from yellow, white or red. These colours are dependent on the variety used. The taste & smell has been described as aromatic pungent and hot. It surprises many people that ginger can be hot.




I first discovered the power of ginger when I was teaching & I found myself constantly battling sore throats. I knew that ginger could help to fight colds/coughs as its a warming spice. As an added bonus it also helps to fight muscle tension. I used to make a infusion to drink which helped to lubricate & ward off infections from students sneezing all over me! I always tried to find the freshest ginger possible (preferably organic) & then used a few strips in a drink. To make the drink: firstly, thinly slice or grate the ginger into a mug/flask & then add boiling water. Then leave it to infuse for 5 – 10 minutes. You can keep on topping up the drink with more hot water. You can also add honey to sweeten it. Honey is another of nature's wonder drugs but more of that another time. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment